IELTS General Training – prove you have practical, everyday English language skills
IELTS General Training measures English language proficiency in a practical, everyday context. The tasks and tests reflect both workplace and social situations.
Take this test if you would like to:
- train or study at below degree level
- work or undertake work related training in an English speaking country
- emigrate to an English speaking country
- get a better job in your own country.
If you want to emigrate to the UK, find out more about IELTS for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
Fees for the IELTS General Training test
- 205 USD - For paper-based IELTS General Training
- 235 USD - For computer-delivered IELTS General Training
Duration: 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Format: There are four sections to the test: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking. When you book your IELTS test with the British Council, the test will take place in an official British Council IELTS test centre, whether you choose paper-based or computer-delivered.
If you take a paper-based test, your Speaking test may be offered on the same day as the other sections of the test, or up to a week before. You will receive an email notification in advance of your Speaking test date and time.
If you choose a computer-delivered test, you have a free choice of Speaking test dates and venues.