Who are Active Citizens?
"Active Citizens are change makers. They don’t wait around for change to happen; they drive the change themselves".
Active Citizens are people who feel inspired, motivated, and empowered to make a difference, and who have the drive and the know-how to turn the ideas into concrete actions.
About the programme
Through our Active Citizens social leadership training programme, thousands of people became more aware of the many problems and/or concerns their communities are having and for that reason, people who get trained on Active Citizens get out of the programme motivated, persistent and determined to take action on some of the biggest social challenges of the 21st century.
How does Active Citizens programme work?
- Active Citizens programme equips people with the skills to mobilize their communities to take action on issues that matter.
- These skills are gained through a reflective ‘learning journey’ which consists of four core modules with a clear set of learning outcomes.
- This learning journey is built around a model we like to call ‘the river’ which develops the participants’:
- understanding of themselves as an active citizen, improving their self-awareness and confidence, and valuing different perspectives (Me)
- addresses their ability to engage appreciatively with people different to them and learn how to use dialogue as a tool for empathy, trust and understanding (Me and You)
- develop a social vision through understanding the others, improving understanding of communities and identifying interventions to address issues at a local and global level (We and others)
- and to be agents of change through planning a community project and delivering social action using improved social responsibility and leadership skills based on democratic values (Social action).
Active Citizens’ river is designed to be inclusive. It can therefore be adapted to suit the needs of different audiences and communities. We use it to help participants explore ideas around themes such as social enterprise, youth, gender and disability.
How does Active Citizens work in Lebanon?
Active Citizens in Lebanon as well as in any other country works by:
- Forming partnerships with ‘delivery partners’. These include civil society organizations, universities and schools who have a strong influence on cultural relations at community level and whose staff are powerful advocates for social justice. The delivery partners are responsible for the organization and implementation of the local delivery.
- The delivery partner(s) identify facilitators who are then trained by master trainers to develop the skills they need to deliver the Active Citizens training in their communities.
- The facilitators deliver workshops which give participants the tools they need to implement a social action project and tackle a social issue in their community.