What is Inclusive Decisions for Equal and Accountable Society?
“Nothing about us without us” is a well-known proverb that no policy should be decided by any representative without the full and direct participation of members of that group. Inclusive Decisions for Equal and Accountable Society (IDEAS) is a European Union-funded project that aims to strengthen the role and capacity of disability-focused civil society organisations.
We work with local government, media and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) to ensure that people with disabilities are better represented in the policy-making process and that their rights are understood, upheld and protected.
In Lebanon, we run IDEAS in partnership with Lebanese Physical Handicapped Union LPHU, a leading Disabled People Organisation for the Rights of People with Disabilities. The project is also implemented in Jordan, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Armenia and Georgia.
The project’s overall objectives are:
- To establish a framework for local government decision-making and action that strengthens the ability of government to recognise and address the needs and rights of people with disabilities
- To provide disability focused Civil Society Organisations (CSO), local authorities and the media with skills and tools to raise awareness and to represent the diverse needs and issues facing people with disabilities more effectively to local government and wider society
- To strengthen the involvement of disability focused civil society organisations and of people with disabilities in government decision-making processes and in monitoring actions taken by local government
- To strengthen national and cross-border cooperation to promote international standards in understanding disability and the rights of people with disabilities.
How we will make a difference
To help us to engage with civil society organisations and local government and achieve our objectives over the next 3 years, we plan to:
- Hold capacity-building workshops and training sessions
- Host regional roundtable meetings
- Develop recommendation packages
- Share project results
- Plan and run regional pilot projects.
Leading by example
We have built specific measures into the IDEAS project to reflect our own corporate Equal Opportunities and Diversity policy. Our decision-making is also steered by people with disabilities.
Please contact us if you would like further information.